Where have all the fans gone?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Re: Where have all the fans gone?

Post by Mad Dog »

supersub wrote:Mad Dog, I had a season ticket in the AirWair and I think you'll find a lot of fellow AirWair folk were put off by the way it was done, the closure that is. I found out when I went down to renew my season ticket, until that moment I thought it was open. I relocated to the South Stand, but a lot of folk I spoke to didn't bother. I can understand. But hey hoy, that's history, move on. Let's slaughter K*ttering tomorrow :)

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to side with either the fans or the club on the AirWair situation btw, if it came across that I was favouring the club. I was just putting the AirWair closure forward as one of the reasons for the loss of people.
diamond82
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by diamond82 »

You've also got to look at the novelty factor. I know our home game the following year (96/97) was on a midweek evening but the attendence for that was in the 3000's. Also remember it was really chucking it down for that game and these were the days before the airwair had a roof. All the k*ttering fans were in ponchos that were given out by the club. We won 1-0.
Dukes

Post by Dukes »

Don't also forget we were an irresistible force - forever going forward. Fantastic chairman, new ground, electronic score board-(lol), could afford any non-league or lower league player, hated by our competitors and neighbours, won loads of games by lots of goals, 'Manchester United of Non-League', owned our own radio station, pre-season friendlies against the likes of Arsenal and Newcastle, reached the 3rd round of FA Cup twice, Millennium Stadium, Diamond Burgers...Div 3 Champions and all that - it was an unbelievable experience and many, many wanted a piece of it.

THEN the money went, that awful day in January when we let our best players go in one afternoon and then the painful drop from the league etc.

Those heady days will not be repeated but they gave me and those around me great times, a truly fantastic footballing experience that few football supporters will ever experience and I will cherish for the rest of my life - This will always be a part of me and I will never forget. It has made me a loyal to my club, along with my 1000 steadfast fellows.

That magical time still glows within me and it gives me hope for each new season and makes me rise at the beginning of each game to applaud my beloved team.

The true will stand firm...the fickle will return.

Long live R & D..!
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Dukes wrote: Then the money went, that awful day in January when we let our best players go in one afternoon and then the painful drop from the league etc.
That just about sums it up. One small point it was actually March 2004, deadline transfer day, when Underwood, Bignot, Lowe and Hall departed. OBN had jumped ship 10 days earlier.
Dukes

Post by Dukes »

Thanks Trek, feeling very emotional when wrote my bit, got the date wrong. Remember though being on the internet and watching our prise silver given away.
But much to look forward to this season..!
diamond82
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by diamond82 »

Just a small point. Found my ticket from our away game at K*ttering from 96/97. £5 adults £4 concessions! When did the conference become so expensive?!?

Ps Nice post Dukes.
Trek

Post by Trek »

diamond82 wrote: When did the conference become so expensive?!?
Don't forget that this was 14 years ago and it would only take a £1 increase every year on the admission price to get to the current charge although Ploppies prices are currently £2-3 more than the our price, and most other clubs, for the Conference.
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Trek wrote:
diamond82 wrote: When did the conference become so expensive?!?
Don't forget that this was 14 years ago and it would only take a £1 increase every year on the admission price to get to the current charge although Ploppies prices are currently £2-3 more than the our price, and most other clubs, for the Conference.
You still have to ask what would justify the rise though - inflation wouldn't go anywhere near doing that - http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/historic-i ... calculator

£5 in 1996 is equivalent to just over £7 in inflation terms.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Dukes wrote:Don't also forget we were an irresistible force - forever going forward. Fantastic chairman, new ground, electronic score board-(lol), could afford any non-league or lower league player, hated by our competitors and neighbours, won loads of games by lots of goals, 'Manchester United of Non-League', owned our own radio station, pre-season friendlies against the likes of Arsenal and Newcastle, reached the 3rd round of FA Cup twice, Millennium Stadium, Diamond Burgers...Div 3 Champions and all that - it was an unbelievable experience and many, many wanted a piece of it.

THEN the money went, that awful day in January when we let our best players go in one afternoon and then the painful drop from the league etc.

Those heady days will not be repeated but they gave me and those around me great times, a truly fantastic footballing experience that few football supporters will ever experience and I will cherish for the rest of my life - This will always be a part of me and I will never forget. It has made me a loyal to my club, along with my 1000 steadfast fellows.

That magical time still glows within me and it gives me hope for each new season and makes me rise at the beginning of each game to applaud my beloved team.

The true will stand firm...the fickle will return.

Long live R & D..!
I wouldnt be so sure that they will never return.

Perhaps we wont have as good a squad again, we certainly won't see players like Onandi Lowe again, but as has been said in another thread, most top half conference teams would cut it in League Two, and many teams, like Exeter, Yeovil, and more, sail straight through.

I have so much faith in Justin Edinburgh it is untrue. Perhaps i'm just being optimistic though.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek

Post by Trek »

Formic wrote:
£5 in 1996 is equivalent to just over £7 in inflation terms.
I think many things have increased above inflation during this period. For example my Council Tax has increased from £616 in 1996/7 to £1395 in 2009/10. :shock:

Other items such as oil, electricity and gas have sharply risen in this period which directly affect the cost of running and maintaining stadiums. Even with the current level of admission charges clubs in the BSP are struggling to balance their books so heaven knows where they would be at the £7 figure.