I'm half way through reading............

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

I'm half way through reading............

Post by Pigman »

.................Tony Jones' book Ten of Diamonds again - what a bloody good read. A real trip down memory lane, some fantastic memories of great away days and an era that we'll probably never see again.

Those of us fortunate enough to have been there and seen the "glory years" were very, VERY lucky people !!!

Formic - you ever considered writing the follow up? Serious question, I reckon you could do a pretty impressive job of it !!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
ID

Re: I'm half way through reading............

Post by ID »

PigmanRDFC wrote:.................Tony Jones' book Ten of Diamonds again - what a bloody good read. A real trip down memory lane, some fantastic memories of great away days and an era that we'll probably never see again.

Those of us fortunate enough to have been there and seen the "glory years" were very, VERY lucky people !!!

Formic - you ever considered writing the follow up? Serious question, I reckon you could do a pretty impressive job of it !!
Agree, great read. Whatever happend to Jones? Am I right in thinking he fell out with the board?

Those who saw the glory years are very lucky. :(
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

PigmanRDFC wrote: Formic - you ever considered writing the follow up? Serious question, I reckon you could do a pretty impressive job of it !!
I did read that Tony Jones had plans for a follow up book but that idea hit the buffers when Max put the Club up for sale in October 2003.
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Irish Diamond wrote:Whatever happend to Jones? Am I right in thinking he fell out with the board?
He had plans to be part of a rival consortium when the Essex 3 almost brought the Club in the summer of 2004.

I believe he still watches the Club on occasions and I saw him leaving the ground a few times last season.
Mat.H

Post by Mat.H »

He used to sit with his group of friends in the North Stand behind me, friendly bunch, although not been seen this season. Suprised as they constantly moaned about Kelly and Rankin and they both gone now.
AFC R&D Membership No 283
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Pigman »

Funny, reading the book makes you think he's Diamonds through and through, yet the minute the money runs out (and the freebies in the various Boardrooms up and down the country) he and his cronies can't be seen for dust...............hmmmmmm far too many of those fans eh?

Still a great read though, but time for another book methinks - come on Formic, hit the keys ;) :D
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

PigmanRDFC wrote:Funny, reading the book makes you think he's Diamonds through and through, yet the minute the money runs out (and the freebies in the various Boardrooms up and down the country) he and his cronies can't be seen for dust...............hmmmmmm far too many of those fans eh?

Still a great read though, but time for another book methinks - come on Formic, hit the keys ;) :D
Tony Jones father was a founder of I'boro' Diamonds and Tony was the original goalkeeper back in 1946. He was it's Chairman for many, many years and it was he who brokered the deal with Max.He's been associated with the club since 1946, so YES, he is Diamonds through and through. He lost his wife a while back so no doubt the enthusiasm waned a little.
AFC R & D member number 34
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

I think they have some for sale in the shop for only £2 if any one wants a copy
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

I remember reading this book myself, was an interesting read, I dread to think how much he cost the club with his various trips with his cronies.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

PigmanRDFC wrote:Funny, reading the book makes you think he's Diamonds through and through, yet the minute the money runs out (and the freebies in the various Boardrooms up and down the country) he and his cronies can't be seen for dust...............hmmmmmm far too many of those fans eh?

I can think of quite a few people who could write it - I'd like to see Paul Hadjuk's story of the RDFC Trust, or Helen's of both those days and the Cousins' years. Others such as Shaun Hodgkin, Richard / Fiona Palmer or Gill Kilby would have plenty of stories to tell. There are a good few fans with stories to tell too - memories of the sort of away trips like Rochdale, Carlisle, Cardiff, Aldershot or Chester (or my own trip to Yeovil to see them lose against Hereford in 2001), contrasting with trips to play Evesham or not play Bury or Macclesfield. We did of course have an author in our ranks who was a regular for many seasons - Diamond Jim, who was also at that Yeovil game.

Chris Barritt would write a good book with a view from the pressbox too - and lets not forget Mark Lea has been watching the Diamonds for longer than a lot of our fans, going back to our first stay in the Conference.

It might need the Diamonds to win something to make it have a real purpose though.