I'm half way through reading............

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Re: I'm half way through reading............

Post by therushden »

mark lea wouldn't write a book about us. he focuses on the negative too much.
so maybe a book about the years after max then ;)
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Perhaps a collaborative effort with input from all of the above would make the most interesting read.

Having read Tony Jones' book only a couple of months ago, I too was thinking that it was about time someone wrote the next installment. Ian Addis' and Mick Dean's superb book Rushden & Diamonds - A Footballing History covers the first 6 seasons in great depth, and includes excellent statistics for those years, something which Ten Of Diamonds didn't include. "Noddy" (who used to post on previous incarnations of the forum, although not recently I don't think) has an extensive collection of stats since the birth of R&D and would also be an invaluable contributor if this idea was to go ahead.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
ID

Post by ID »

I agree Dave, a collaboration would be best... and, despite Mark Lea's often negativity he is a definite asset in the recording of our recent history.

However as Formic says, unless we gain promotion in the next couple of years (giving a redemptive end to our inter-FL years) there wouldn't really be a need for a book just yet.
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Irish Diamond wrote:I agree Dave, a collaboration would be best... and, despite Mark Lea's often negativity he is a definite asset in the recording of our recent history.

However as Formic says, unless we gain promotion in the next couple of years (giving a redemptive end to our inter-FL years) there wouldn't really be a need for a book just yet.
I agree. So lets get it started now so that when we win the play offs in May it will just be the finishing touches that need adding, ready for release at the start of our second venture into the football league! ;)
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

davealbon wrote:Perhaps a collaborative effort with input from all of the above would make the most interesting read.

Having read Tony Jones' book only a couple of months ago, I too was thinking that it was about time someone wrote the next installment. Ian Addis' and Mick Dean's superb book Rushden & Diamonds - A Footballing History covers the first 6 seasons in great depth, and includes excellent statistics for those years, something which Ten Of Diamonds didn't include. "Noddy" (who used to post on previous incarnations of the forum, although not recently I don't think) has an extensive collection of stats since the birth of R&D and would also be an invaluable contributor if this idea was to go ahead.
Indeed - he reminded me the other day that the Diamonds will be playing their 1000th game this season (although he'd need to confirm which one that is likely to be). Perhaps we can persuade him to join in now the baseline A-Z of Diamonds players is complete.
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

therushden wrote:mark lea wouldn't write a book about us. he focuses on the negative too much.
so maybe a book about the years after max then ;)
Mark Lea wouldn't write it because the contents haven't been produced here first yet.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

One thing Mark Lea would be able to do though would be to get hold of the ET's records of previous games (not just the match reports, but photos if not readily available).
diamond82
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by diamond82 »

I love this book. As has been said it is a great book for bringing back the memories or if you're new to the club to have a look at the clubs history. A bargain at £2, ther's no excuse not to buy one.

As for Tony Jones I think its harsh to think of him as one of Max's hangers on. After all this guy had been involved with Irthlingborough Diamonds for decades and he was the one who approached Max to take over the club. Yes, from reading the book it does sound like he had a fair few jollies but IMO he had earnt these through the work he had put into Irthlingborough Diamonds pre merger.
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Formic wrote:We did of course have an author in our ranks who was a regular for many seasons - Diamond Jim, who was also at that Yeovil game.
(ahem).... You have two authors in your ranks, actually.... I have published three books. Granted, none of them is about football, but then again, the only thing Jim publishes is "The Whisky Bible" which is hardly likely to be a comfortable bedfellow with sporting prowess, post-Georgie Best, I would have thought!
AFCR&D Member Number 38 - Proud member of a Community Football Club, currently in exile in West Wales!
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

I was looking at an old programme last evening and in Tony Jones column for the Port Vale match, our final fixture that season, in May 2004 he said that a follow up book entltled 'The End of an Era' was planned for release in August 2004.
That obviously never happened but it would be interesting to know how far he got with writing it?