All Time Diamonds XI: Right Back

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.

All time greatest XI Right Back

Poll ended at Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:51 am

Tim Wooding
12%
Tarkan Mustafa
27%
Marcus Bignot
47%
Curtis Osano
14%

Total votes: 51

wewantourdarbyback

All Time Diamonds XI: Right Back

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

Having successfully chosen a goalkeeper to begin our search for the ultimate diamonds team we will now continue with the search by moving onto the right back position. This week we convened our 'expert' panel for the first time to chose the nominees. It was a tough decision between 7/8 stand out players in our history but we have finalised on these four nominees, as usual click on the names for more info:

Tim Wooding joined the Diamonds in February 1994, returning to the area that had nurtured his early career at Rushden Rangers. Tim went on to make 247 appearances for RDFC leaving him 6th on the all time appearance list. He left the club at the end of the 1999/2000 season having risen with the club from the Beazer Homes Midland Division to the higher echelons of the Conference.

Tarkan Mustafa joined the club in the summer of 2000 from Kingstonian and went on to make 92 appearances for the club over a successful two and a half years with the club. He was an incredibly popular player for the club (incidentally he is wwodb's favourite Diamonds player ;) ) and his individual goal against Burnley in the clubs first ever League Cup game will be long remembered by all lucky enough to be in attendance. He left the club for Dagenham during the 2002/2003 season.

Marcus Bignot joined RDFC in the summer of 2002 ready for the Division Three winning season. he quickly established himself as one of the best right backs in the league and was a formidable partner for Paul Hall down the wing. He left the club in 2004 during the firesale that followed the clubs first dip into financial difficulties to rejoin QPR. He is currently on the books of Millwall.

Curtis Osano first moved to Nene park on a season long work experience loan from Reading and impressed many during his first season. Upon his release from the Championship side he signed a two year deal with RDFC at the start of the 08/09 season. He has performed well for the club both on the right and in the centre of the defence and his performances earned him the Diamonds Supporters Player of the Season award during his second season in a diamonds shirt. He has made 113 appearances for the club as of January 2010.

Honourable mention in the nominations went to Rob Gier, Andy Sambrook and Andy Peaks (although Peaks was seen as more of a half back than full back) with Gier and Sambrook having both made 74 appearances for the club and Peaks breaking the 200 mark. A final mention can be made for Sean Connelly who only played for the club for one season but won POTS awards at the end of his season before his release.

(Since I've just discovered that I can set this poll to close itself it will run for exactly 7 days :mrgreen: )

Next Up: Centre Backs
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Re: All Time Diamonds XI: Right Back

Post by davealbon »

I think this is likely to be the closest fought battle of all the positions. Sadly for Tim Wooding I think he'll lag behind the other three, despite his excellent service to the club, but it could go any way between the other three. I don't think there's any doubt that Biggy was the best player of the three, but Tarks was a more popular player and had two great seasons, playing a big part in our progression from being not quite good enough to win the Conference to being a real force in Division 3. The Kenyan King is probably even more popular still, but hasn't achieved anything with the club (yet ;)). Had he been part of a more successful side, he would probably be a clear winner.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Biggy was far away the best all round right back although Tarks will gain a lot of support. For me, he was not a very good defender although I accept that he was very exciting going forward.
Osano lags a fair bit those two, at present, although he's still a young lad and needs to cut out those sloppy moments when he tends to lose concentration.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

For some reason i thought Wooding was a left back, clearly not.

I never rated Tarks or Biggy as out and out defenders, they were both great going forward but were often caught short at the back. Also, Tarks had a total mare in the play-off final.

For me its got to be Osano. He has great potential, has played over 100 games, has consistantly performed over 2 and a half years in a variety of positions, and is as capable going forward as he is in defence.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Whooosh gets it for me. A truly great servant to the club and as steady a right back as we'd ever need. Everyone knew if Wooding was in the team we'd get a fair shift out of him. Vastly underrated player IMO and I still remember he scored a screamer at FGR. Mr Reliable in every sense.
AFC R & D member number 34
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Two of Diamonds wrote:Whooosh gets it for me. A truly great servant to the club and as steady a right back as we'd ever need. Everyone knew if Wooding was in the team we'd get a fair shift out of him. Vastly underrated player IMO and I still remember he scored a screamer at FGR. Mr Reliable in every sense.
This is one of the more bizarre videos on the web - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4SXD347HYI

Is it correct he was injured in the Hillsborough disaster ?
davealbon

Post by davealbon »

Two of Diamonds wrote:Whooosh gets it for me. A truly great servant to the club and as steady a right back as we'd ever need. Everyone knew if Wooding was in the team we'd get a fair shift out of him. Vastly underrated player IMO and I still remember he scored a screamer at FGR. Mr Reliable in every sense.
I agree with all of that ToD, although Tarks still gets my vote. Unfortunately for Tim his screamer at FGR actually went down as an own goal, as it took a slight deflection en route to the goal. I always thought it was harsh though to take that one away from him.
Downsie53

Post by Downsie53 »

Has to be Tarks for me.
Though the women sat around me did used to annoy the hell out of me by constantly going on about his legs :lol:
He was the first player I got printed onto an RDFC shirt - aaaahhh, memories!
JUMP! Oooooh De Banke Army!
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

davealbon wrote: I agree with all of that ToD, although Tarks still gets my vote. Unfortunately for Tim his screamer at FGR actually went down as an own goal, as it took a slight deflection en route to the goal. I always thought it was harsh though to take that one away from him.
I thought it caught Chris Whyte, but should still have been Tim's goal IMO.
AFC R & D member number 34
davealbon

Post by davealbon »

Two of Diamonds wrote:
davealbon wrote: I agree with all of that ToD, although Tarks still gets my vote. Unfortunately for Tim his screamer at FGR actually went down as an own goal, as it took a slight deflection en route to the goal. I always thought it was harsh though to take that one away from him.
I thought it caught Chris Whyte, but should still have been Tim's goal IMO.
Chris Whyte scored the first with a close range shot in a 2-0 win. I can't remember which Rovers player it was who was 'credited' with what should have been Wooding's goal, and my programmes from that season are buried away at the bottom of by wardrobe and I can't be bothered to fish them out!