[ Sat 20th Oct ] v King's Lynn Town, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY (COACH FULL)

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Re: [ Sat 20th Oct ] v King's Lynn Town, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY (COACH FULL)

Post by Formic »

It's always very frustrating to concede a late equaliser like that. It was the old cliche where we failed to convert some good chances to make it 2-0 and then conceded a silly free kick near the half-way line by dwelling on the ball when in possession rather than getting it up the field or out of play when there were only seconds left. We matched our hosts though, and I think Stourbridge are still the only team we've faced in the league that looked to be that bit better than us, player for player.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

On the balance of play I don’t think we really deserved all 3 points so the result was fair, but to concede like that was gutting. It felt like the time added on at the end was excessive but we had opportunities to put the game to bed and opportunities to get the ball as far away from our goal as possible which we didn’t take.

It’ll feel like a defeat but the lads can be proud of their performance and the effort put in. Ben Heath clear MOM but Jack Bowen ran himself in to the ground and our back four looked solid again.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

With their rip off prices I am surprised they are not paying Premiership wages! £11 for a concession, last week I paid £9 for National League South. Drinks also expensive not surprised the bar was almost empty.

You can blame those late missed chances or the failure to clear the ball in the final seconds but I have to confess that goal was my fault. As what I thought was the final goal kick being taken I apparently said "This must be the final action and its been a good win for Diamonds"
MarkH
The Staff
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 1273
Basil

Post by Basil »

Having been at the game and now watching the highlights I still can’t see where the ref got all the injury time from or how the ref saw that Rogers fouled the KL player to give them a free kick before their equaliser!! Having said that their no. 7 and 8 were fantastic but so were Sam, Hicks and Heath!! IMO Hicks is a player that can make us tick.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No: 26
Easton Diamond
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Easton Diamond »

How refreshing it was to see us play good attacking football on the ground and to feet yesterday, such a nice change from earlier in the season. Another excellent goal from Declan Rogers who is never afraid to strike from distance! Ben Heath was absolutely inspired with top save after top save and if it wasn’t for him we’d certainly have fallen to defeat. When we missed several decent chances you knew exactly what was going to happen, but it was undoubtedly a point gained. We’d pretty much won every aerial battle at the back until that final free-kick was floated into the box for their goal, however there’s no doubt that King’s Lynn deserved the equaliser.

The referee seemed to give us very little all game, constantly siding with the hosts. He was onto Zack Reynolds about time wasting on throw-ins before he’d even received the ball to take them! Yes the 5+ minutes of injury time were an absolute joke; did the physios actually come on at all? Sitting in the Main Stand the noise from the Diamonds fans behind the goal near the end could be heard loud and clear which was great, just a shame we couldn’t see it out. Overall an enjoyable away day at a sizeable stadium just like old times! Despite being in 14th place I’d say we’ve made a steady start in our new surroundings.
Olderdiamond

Post by Olderdiamond »

Attended my first game for a very long time yesterday. This will be unpopular, but, 6 subs equals 3 minutes, say 45 seconds for the goal, 30 seconds when the 2 was injured, that’s 4:15, it could be argued the sub for 9 was longer than 30seconds too. Combine that with the gk taking his time on goal kicks, is 5 minutes unrealistic? Frustrating, yes, unreasonable- no, in my humble opinion.

Afc were a credit and it was great to see them again. I am sure they will do well this year. 11 was a very good player, as was 10, I hope they are on contract.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

10 Ben Diamond is on a contract.11 Hicks has not exactly shone in most games but yesterday he was everywhere and certainly had his best game by far.
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Olderdiamond wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:14 pm Attended my first game for a very long time yesterday. This will be unpopular, but, 6 subs equals 3 minutes, say 45 seconds for the goal, 30 seconds when the 2 was injured, that’s 4:15, it could be argued the sub for 9 was longer than 30seconds too. Combine that with the gk taking his time on goal kicks, is 5 minutes unrealistic? Frustrating, yes, unreasonable- no, in my humble opinion.

Afc were a credit and it was great to see them again. I am sure they will do well this year. 11 was a very good player, as was 10, I hope they are on contract.
It's happened now and can't be changed but in answer to the points made, the were 6 subs made but this included 2 at a time twice so that's 2 mins not 3, also isn't a goal the same as a sub in added time so that's 2.5 + any other time added so for me the most he could stretch it to would be 4. For some reason the ref was completely over the top and with both full backs even when they were walking over to take a throw without breaking stride he was chasing them up to get a move on, don't think it's in the Laws yet you have to run. The Ref gave us nothing at Biggleswade and matched his performance on Saturday, that said we had a couple of golden opportunities to make the Lynn late goal nothing more than a consolation.
Appears you enjoyed it Olderdiamond so hopefully you'll be back before another very long time passes.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Brownie wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:55 am
Olderdiamond wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:14 pm Attended my first game for a very long time yesterday. This will be unpopular, but, 6 subs equals 3 minutes, say 45 seconds for the goal, 30 seconds when the 2 was injured, that’s 4:15, it could be argued the sub for 9 was longer than 30seconds too. Combine that with the gk taking his time on goal kicks, is 5 minutes unrealistic? Frustrating, yes, unreasonable- no, in my humble opinion.

It's happened now and can't be changed but in answer to the points made, the were 6 subs made but this included 2 at a time twice so that's 2 mins not 3, also isn't a goal the same as a sub in added time so that's 2.5 + any other time added so for me the most he could stretch it to would be 4. For some reason the ref was completely over the top and with both full backs even when they were walking over to take a throw without breaking stride he was chasing them up to get a move on, don't think it's in the Laws yet you have to run. The Ref gave us nothing at Biggleswade and matched his performance on Saturday, that said we had a couple of golden opportunities to make the Lynn late goal nothing more than a consolation.
Appears you enjoyed it Olderdiamond so hopefully you'll be back before another very long time passes.
I agree - and as most matches have 6 subs, and often a goal or two then you should have that long in every game - but you don't. Add to that issue that the ref allowed Lynn to play "multi-ball" for the last quarter, rather than running a few yards to collect a ball that had gone into touch on the stand side, and it did seem excessive.