[ Sat 24th Feb ] v Egham Town, KO 3pm ESE AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Re: [ Sat 24th Feb ] v Egham Town, KO 3pm ESE AWAY

Post by BartonRaz »

Three Nips wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:47 pm I'm not sure I've seen such a terrible defensive performance from a Diamonds team since we were hammered by a pretty awful Crawley team at their place nearly 10 years ago (We want 11 Tom Shaws!). Jacko especially looked to be completely found out and Bully's throw-ins smacked of someone who wasn't used to being in that position.

I think this week in particular would have been a good time (last Tuesday would have sufficed if it wasn't for a questionable decision to postpone a match on a perfectly playable pitch) to give the likes of Punter, Gilchrist & Ford a bit of game time with the run in we have having so many needless abandonments to make up in the last couple of months of the season.

Lets be honest, after the performance today, I would find it difficult to quantify what Jacko and Curtis (for all that they have proven their worth in the past/earlier in the season) have done to deserve their berth in the starting XI.
Easy to suggest in hindsight that changes should have been made, but it wasn't really a surprise that he stuck with the same XI given the frequent postponements that you've mentioned.

I can't argue with your comments about the defence. A defence that looked so assured between October - February has now kept 1 clean sheet in 5 games, conceding 7 in the process. It feels like we're trying to accomodate people at the moment. I'd much prefer to see Dolman back in the middle of the three and Blaize Punter back in the team. Punter was outstanding for us during the first half of the season and very unfortunate to lose his place.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

BartonRaz wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:57 am
Three Nips wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:47 pm I'm not sure I've seen such a terrible defensive performance from a Diamonds team since we were hammered by a pretty awful Crawley team at their place nearly 10 years ago (We want 11 Tom Shaws!). Jacko especially looked to be completely found out and Bully's throw-ins smacked of someone who wasn't used to being in that position.

I think this week in particular would have been a good time (last Tuesday would have sufficed if it wasn't for a questionable decision to postpone a match on a perfectly playable pitch) to give the likes of Punter, Gilchrist & Ford a bit of game time with the run in we have having so many needless abandonments to make up in the last couple of months of the season.

Lets be honest, after the performance today, I would find it difficult to quantify what Jacko and Curtis (for all that they have proven their worth in the past/earlier in the season) have done to deserve their berth in the starting XI.
Easy to suggest in hindsight that changes should have been made, but it wasn't really a surprise that he stuck with the same XI given the frequent postponements that you've mentioned.

I can't argue with your comments about the defence. A defence that looked so assured between October - February has now kept 1 clean sheet in 5 games, conceding 7 in the process. It feels like we're trying to accomodate people at the moment. I'd much prefer to see Dolman back in the middle of the three and Blaize Punter back in the team. Punter was outstanding for us during the first half of the season and very unfortunate to lose his place.
It wasn't going to last forever playing those three together, with dolman on the right. He has to be in the middle. Punter had grown into a decent player alongside dolman and was unlucky to be dropped. If he's going to continue playing a back three, then either Ashton or Brown misses out. It does look as if he's trying to accommodate both.
MarkH
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 1273
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 99 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

I noticed the official KTFC twitter account liked the result of our game yesterday. Shouldn't really be surprised though as the person running it is a complete idiot.
It was the same guy who made two unprofessional comments in our games against them this season. Tweeting that our fans let the club down, before being told to delete the comments.

Shows the gulf in class between the two clubs, that whoever was running our twitter account yesterday didn't feel the need to like their tweet confirming their own loss.

Anyway, a shame that we lost, but I'm sure we'll rectify that result against Hayes & Yeading on Saturday, IF the game goes ahead!!!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

I am surprised the crowd was given as 264. Their highest of the season. It looked like barely 200 there.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

sussexdiamond wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:26 am I am surprised the crowd was given as 264. Their highest of the season. It looked like barely 200 there.
I saw a tweet from an Egham fan saying “well done to the people of Egham for turning out”. No mention of any one from Rushden being there despite their average 100 odd attendance which includes Saturday’s attendance.
Three Nips
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Three Nips »

BartonRaz wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:57 am

I can totally understand it but having seen us perform below the level we've been used to in the last couple of matches (obviously not helped by the lack of continuity due to the postponements), it would have been handy to get some games into those on the fringes at the moment. I think it's a tad unfair to expect them to come on and change games if things aren't going to plan given the little playing time they've had.

Like you say, it's easy to summise this in hindsight but I don't think anyone expected us to go on unbeaten until the end of the season so I'd have thought it must have at least been considered that we may need the likes of Punter, Ford, Gilchrist etc. to play their part at some point on the run-in.
Everywhere we go....
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

I wonder if there’s a case for going 4-4-2 with Punter, Dolman, Ashton and Brown with Curtis dropping to the bench?
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Trek wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:42 pm I wonder if there’s a case for going 4-4-2 with Punter, Dolman, Ashton and Brown with Curtis dropping to the bench?
From the last few games, I'm happy with the 3-5-2 formation, but think it would make a lot more sense to move Bully back into the centre and bring one of Punter or Gilchrist in. Then it's between Ashton and Brown. I'd also consider possibly bringing Ross Oulton for Joe Curtis, who I thought looked sharp on Saturday.

My back three would probably be Punter, Dolman, Brown, basically the back three which served us well throughout most of the run and gives us the most balance.
Pigman
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Pigman »

Bully has to be moved back into the middle of the defence, that is a no brainer! The unbeaten run was built on the foundation of that - since he has been moved out, we’ve looked less formidable and have started to concede goals.
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51